Monday, July 20, 2009

Don't Ever Go On Late Night Walks...


So last night I went on a late night walk with Andrew and we went on a nature path that ended up being a five mile walk. I wasn't originally planning on it being that long, but hey I was trying to be spontanious. So anyway, I was in my flipflops walking and it was dusk. It was just light enough to see the path, but dark enough to not be able to see any details. All of a sudden I was looking down and almost walked right into a snake! I stopped Andrew before he did too, and we just stood there looking at it. It was probably five to six feet long. If anyone knows me, then they know I am more terrified of snakes than anything else. Then it coiled up and started hissing at us. I have not been that scared in a long time. Immediately after, I took off as fast as I could and about 300 yards later I slowed down to see if Andrew was behind me. A few seconds later, he caught up to me. He told me that after I took off, the snake's tail started rattling and was getting ready to strike at him! We almost got bitten by a rattle snake!!! I was terrified the whole rest of the walk home (we still had 2.5 miles to go). I was so scared that another snake was going to jump out and bite my toes off. It also didn't help that after that, it got completely dark and we couldn't see hardly anything. It also didn't help that we saw like five more snakes squished on the side of the road. I couldn't stop thinking that we could have died. We were so lucky that all was okay. So, moral of the story...don't go on late night walks in the middle of nowhere in Idaho, because you might run into a rattle snake. FYI-I guess snakes like to go onto blacktop when it cools down at night. Scary huh?!!!

5 comments:

J said...

Holy crap, that is scary. Just one question, when you were running did it feel like you were running a million miles an hour? I once got chased by a huge dog and my adrenaline was pumping so hard I could have broken the world record in the 100 meters. If I was Andrew I'd say thanks for leaving me in the dust! Love you guys.

Heidi said...

Wow!! That's so scary!! I don't blame you, I'd never go walking again, late night or not! Glad you guys got away in time, that's so freaky!

Cait@Spudnut said...

That's crazy!! I hate snakes too...I would have freaked out!! Glad you guys didn't get bit!

Nicole, Ryan & Jett Wilder said...

Gee this story made my heart start pumping faster! SO SCARY! Im so glad no one is hurt and that you were able to see the snake before it was too late! That is an amazing story!

Taylor and Amanda said...

Okay..so how funny is this? I read this blog post yesterday and was thinking how crazy it was that you guys ran into a rattlesnake on your walk. Then, last night, I had this awful nightmare that I was stuck in a building full of snakes and there was no way out! Pretty funny huh?